Saturday, January 9, 2010

Little Man's 1st Birthday




We celebrated Little Man's 1st Birthday on Thursday. It is so hard to believe it has been a year since our little man was born. He decided to come 6 weeks early which was a huge surprise. He weighed 6 pounds 13 ounces so he was definitely big enough to come which I was grateful for. He had trouble breathing which I knew would happen since he was so early. I only saw him long enough to touch his beautiful face and then they took him to the Special Care Nursery. When Chris first saw Little Man he asked the nurses and Doctor if Little Man had Down Syndrome but no one thought he did so I did not really worry about it. When they took Little Man away Chris went with him to make sure he was O.K. The doctor and nurse finished up with me and then left me alone. I remember worry about Little Man and wanted to know if everything was alright. It was kind of a helpless feeling to not be able to be with him.

I will never forgot the look on Chris's face when he finally returned. It was one of those defining moments in my life that I will never forget. He told me that they thought that Little Man did have Down Syndrome and they would run some tests to find out. I remember feeling that all my hopes and dreams for him had died. I remember being grateful that it was just Chris and I together mourning for those dreams. We had incredible family support that let us know that they would love Little Man even if he did have Down Syndrome which I was so grateful for then and now.
Finally they took me to the Special Nursery so that I was able to see my little man. It was hard to see such a little baby hooked up to machines with IV and monitors. I remember wanting to hold him and touch his little body. From there they took me to my room. It was so different to be in a room just Chris and I. We talked a lot about the future and what it held for our family. Both of our parents came and visited and everyone received blessings to help us. I remember my father telling me that as I looked back on my life I would see the ways that Heavenly Father had prepared me for Little Man and the privilege that I had to raise him.
Chris went home and told our children about Little Man and that he was special. That year 2nd Son had a little boy named Henry in his class at school. Henry has Down Syndrome. As soon as Chris said that Little Man was special 2nd Son said,"you mean like Henry". I was so grateful that day for Henry and that my children already knew and loved someone that had Down Syndrome. It has never bothered them that Little Man is special. In fact I think they love him more.
That night before I went to bed I called over to the nursery to check on Little Man. The nurse said she was just about to give him a bath and wanted to know if I wanted to come. Of course I jumped (or wheeled since they would not let me walk) at the chance. It was so fun help give him his first bath. All of my other children were done by Chris and I was usually too numb to move. After it was all over she handed him to me so I could really hold him for the first time. I fell in love with him at that moment.
Little Man's birth story is long so I will post more of it as the month goes on. Sorry it is so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment